[DevLog] RPG Maker Gamejam Concept
Feb 3, 2019, 9:27:28 AM
I hope this is the first devlog of many on this RPG Maker VX Ace project I've started up today.
Recently, I joined a discord channel, and one of the things that community is doing this month is a game jam. So... obviously I have no time for it, but I figure, why not. It wouldn't be terrible if I got something done!
Here's one thing I know about doing games… they're hard.
So I thought I'd try and pair my game down really small. That said it'll probably still take more than a month to finish, but at least I will have started. I suppose this can live as a long list of Mortal Coil related things that are half done. You know, like the other thing... *coughTheShrinecough*.
The concept so far
- Wishes as the theme, or my in my case I was thinking regrets and hopes.
- I'm basing the game on my webcomic/novella character Kamiko, a (shinto) deity
- Gameplay kinda, sorta like Papers, Please
I'm going to try and use RPG Maker VX Ace to build this project.
I'm a Unity/C# guy and formerly C++. I used Unity for my iOS/Android mobile games (Ollie and Flip, Toodle's Toboggan), and I use it at my current company. But, I bought RPG Maker after playing To The Moon some years ago. I just finished Rakuen, and if both those games are made using RPG Maker, it just seems right I do the Leeblejam using it, or… die trying.
I tend to design game systems or write more systems code, so maybe using RPG Maker will force me to think more in a game design capacity than a systems/gameplay programming one.
I made a design doc and tried to break everything down. You can read through it if you want the nitty-gritty of what I'm trying to produce by the end of the month.
The game is like Papers, Please, in that Papers took place mostly in one simple setting: a security checkpoint. You examine the papers and move people across the checkpoint. I want a similar experience.
In my game idea, you play Kamiko, a woman who ferries souls between the mortal and eternal realms. And all you do is really just that… you pick up souls and move them via a boat across the sea of time. You can choose to interact/talk with them beyond giving them a ride and listen to snippets about their lives. You also have to protect them from monsters that want to devour or kidnap the souls.
Work done today
- Watched videos on RPG Maker VX Ace. Reacclimated myself to the interface.
- Started new Project and ripped out a lot of RPG Maker's stock project stuff
- Got some useful scripts to help setup the message text box for character dialog -- Yanfly's Message Box and ATS
- Diffusion font from itch.io (might be temp, who knows)
- Pulled in my old artwork of Kamiko -- bust graphic, first pass sprites I did of her a few years ago, they don't match, but I'm just blocking out a cutscene
- Practiced putting together a simple cutscene. I used Rakuen as my template -- character image on the left, name in text box, custom font.
- Set game window to 640, 480
Animated GIF of what I've managed to accomplish after a day of relearning RPG Maker VX and toying with it's features.
That's all for today. I'll periodically update you on more as I work on my gamejam project.
Of course, it's not the only iron in the fire for TMC. I'm also working hard on the next novella and a few other sundry writing projects. In a few months I hope some of it will come to fruition.